Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Supercharged for New PR

Dino Super Charge started out pretty excellent. Heckyl/Snide's debut was good, and I enjoyed getting more backstory plus another plot involving Iceage. The team not bothering to check the ship wreckage is still ridiculous (Everyones fine expect for MIA Sledge), but the episode was strong enough I could get past it.

Shelby had one of the best episodes with James Gaylyn as her dad in what was one of the funniest moments ever on PR. I was surprised Heckyl got outed to the Rangers so soon. Chase had a good episode as well in another genuinely funny episode, that also sorta made up for no Yellow Ranger.

I liked how Tyler's Energem got infected causing him to act like a t-rex and forcing his dad to finally appear as Aqua Ranger, but Tyler was a little too excited to have him back after he had been in hiding for so long. Leaving to go look for the Silver Energem was a decent way to write James off (since he's not main cast like Phillip anyway) and I'm glad Tyler was not OK with him going. I just hope when the Silver Ranger storyline picks up soon there's some payoff and it doesn't leave James as a jerk for not really even doing anything.

We then got what I thought was the worst non-clip show episode of Dino Charge. The baseball plot just didn't work for me and Riley's attitude was bad. The timeline of the games was terrible. I'd like to think the Amber Beach Earthquakes are a minor league team but it felt like it was supposed to be the major leagues.

And the first half wrapped up with a fun Ivan episode. Also, I thought the new opening feels like something from the Disney era and isn't as creatively edited as last years. I do like the font change after nearly the same for five years but I wish they had kept the cast looking at the camera in their credits. I'd have to say Megaforce even had a better stylized opening. Now there's a lot to look forward to coming up between the Silver and Talon Rangers, the new General, Sledge's return and how Heckyl's double personality is resolved, all capped off with a BIG finale apparently.

Grades: "WHEN EVIL STIRS" 5/5, "FORGIVE AND FORGET" 4/5,  "NIGHTMARE IN AMBER BEACH" 5/5, "A DATE WITH DANGER" through "FORGED UNDER FIRE" 4/5, "HOME RUN KODA" 3/5 and "RICHES AND RAGES" 4/5. For more, check out shyranger.com/PR.html.

No comments: