Friday, November 7, 2014

PRSM #15-17: Farewell to Megaforce's Best Characters

 "ALL HAIL PRINCE VEKAR" started out weak. Another day off? Lame excuse to get them on the ship. Why does using it have to even be such a big deal? Why aren't they allowed to just use the Sky Ship for fun? Once they got into Vekar and the flashback I didn't feel like I was watching Super Megaforce for the rest of the episode - straight Gokaiger pretty much. I wondered if they would adapt Mavro having Damaras look after him and I liked the way they set it up with a mention of Vrak. I just wish we could get an original flashback with these characters.

Morphing right to Super Mega Mode worked here I thought since they were facing Vekar and this episode was treated as a big deal. Of course, the effects beat the actual writing. I loved Noah's suit disintegrating and the group morph matching up to the Gokai shot. But "armageddon"? I really thought those scenes were from the finale. And Orion using the Wolf Warrior key was just Jason Smith screwing with us I'm sure.

4/5. The writing may be dumb at times but the footage is great and the glamor shots they did made it a bit more cooler. I'll remember Vekar as forever the best character from Megaforce period.


Despite being a Goseiger burnoff, "VRAK IS BACK" was mostly good thanks to Vrak being awesome and I enjoyed watching his plan unfold. The Rangers got what they deserved for forgetting about him. I didn't mind kidnapping Orion and draining his power as a cheap way to use Cameron Jebo.

Evil Robo Knight kicking Troy's ass was the best thing they've done this season. The fights were great - but then things went south about halfway in Part 2, as Troy wouldn't shutup, and became too much like Alata to save RK and defeat Vrak. What could've been an excellent episode was further dampened by the shows usual weird way of doing things, take the Rangers staring at RK's key and assuming he was destroyed when it stopped glowing. They couldn't even bother to have it with Megaforce or 6th Ranger keys? And I thought it was cool Vrak self-destructed the sea base - I just wish RK hadn't been blown up offscreen saving Orion.

Also, Vrak's body surviving in the footage will make the lack of connection to the next episode even more painful. 4/5 for both parts. Pretty much what should've been the finale last year and James Bates did pretty well for what he had... For sure better than if these episodes had been in the hands of someone else.

No comments: