Monday, May 26, 2008

Smallville Season Finale "Arctic": Lex's Last Stand

This was a classic case of me getting my hopes up a little much. It was a good season finale, but the lack of sheer doom seen in the past and Lex in the Fortress only being a few minutes long (SMASH! And there goes the Fortress!), kinda left me wanting more. I remember reading John Schneider and John Glover were going to appear again, so I was kinda letdown that never happened.

Laura played evil Kara nicely. Just when did Brainiac take her form? Clark assumed she never made it back from Krypton, but I'm thinking a confrontation happened after she got the headache and fell to the floor. Otherwise, why would Brainiac need to pretend to be her at night when Clark wasn't around (if she had in fact never returned)? I just knew Brainiac would do something nasty. Either it'll take Clark all of next season to get her out, or she'll finally get out on her own (with or without someone else) in time for the last episode. Miss you, Kara. :(

I really liked Brainiac's "What the hell are you?" to Chloe. A little confusing what happened to him. Was he just weakened? Hopefully it's not the end...

Lana's dumping-via-DVD was weak, but when you consider the pain she went through during the coma, I'll let it slide. Good riddance -- until she returns for a guest appearance anyway.

Geez, even if I hadn't known Chloe would be arrested, you could practically hear the guards approaching the place. >_>

Damn, we got jipped on Lex outside the Fortress from the promo. >_< Very nice final scene. Michael played it well... I just wish (as I'm sure everyone else does) that it would've been a little longer. I liked how he really thought he was helping to save humanity and despite becoming more and more darker, kept his cool and told Clark he loved him like a brother. I would've expected more dramatic rage, but perhaps he was so relieved to know the truth that the one final outburst was enough. Calling Clark by his Kryptonian name was just the icing on the cake and made up for the fact he didn't say Krypton, despite hearing the latter on-screen. I really hope they don't pull a "3 months later" thing.

It'll be interesting next season with the intros of Doomsday and Tess, Lex missing and probably more time for Jimmy and Lois. Will Erica finally be in a full season? I expect more and more Clois moments like the one we had here.

No comments: